The first well documented explorations in Ease Gill took place in 1935/36 by Miss M. Greenwood and W. Fairbank of Morecambe and are recorded in the official BSA records of that time. It was known that Ease Gill was normally dry below Cow Dub, the dry waterfall in Upper Ease Gill, and that the water sank in series of sinks upstream of there. Greenwood and Fairbank located seven sinks upstream of here in April 1936. The highest discovered sink led to the initial exploration of Boundary Pot. The initial short crawl was pushed under a daylight shaft to a series of choked passages and a tight crawl which was not fully pushed until 1950 by NPC (Bar Steward's Crawl). The third recorded downstream sink led to a short fissure cave which again was not fully pushed (Slit Sinks). The entrance to the forth sink was dug out and led to a cave over 100ft long to a chamber and a blocked crawl. This is now known as Corner Sink. Sink Number 6 was also explored (Swindon Hole) for several hundred feet. Several other caves high up on the banks of the beck were noted. Sink Number 7 was later to become known as Oxford Pot.

The caves of Lower Ease Gill were first recorded and explored by Henry H. Davis (1849, pp.23, 27) although he grossly exaggerated the length as being over 80 yards before he was stopped by a pool. Witches Cave. Today we know that the length is more like 80ft! Several of the Lower Ease Gill Caves were recorded by Balderston but it was not until 1936 that the BSA accurately surveyed these caves; Leck Beck Head being recorded as 700ft above sea level and Witches Cave some 100 ft long. Here things rested for some ten years as the Second World War intervened and most cavers were otherwise occupied.


RRCPC 2001